Activities in the area
The Kitzbüheler Alpen are an ideal starting point for ski tours in Tirol. Discover the naturalness of the winter landscape during a ski tour. In the Kitzbüheler Alpen you can head out on ski tours from the first snowfall (Bichlalm), in the depths of winter (Kelchsau & Spertental) and right into spring (Wilder Kaiser & Kelchsau). The Harschbichl on the Kitzbüheler Horn in St. Johann in Tirol in particular is a popular destination for ski tourers.
You get to enjoy the winter scenery in the Kitzbüheler Alpen to the full, even away from the pistes. Winter hiking and snow-shoe hiking in St. Johann in Tirol, Oberndorf, Kirchdorf and Erpfendorf is a highlight for every winter holiday-maker. Countless routes take you to the loveliest nooks in the region, through the forest and fields and past farmsteads, hamlets and streams.
Skiing and Snowboarding
The Kitzbüheler Alpen in Tyrol are an ideal winter sports region, where you can enjoy skiing and snowboarding. You'll find the best conditions here for your skiing holiday in Tyrol. See how varied the pistes in the three ski areas in this alpine region area are:
- Austria's largest connected ski area - SkiWelt Wilder Kaiser - Brixental
- the world's most legendary ski area - Kitzbühel / Kirchberg
- the family ski area - St. Johann in Tirol / Oberndorf
- the "snow hole" PillerseeTal (Fieberbrunn, Steinplatte, Buchensteinwand)
The Kitzbüheler Alpen with St. Johann in Tirol, Oberndorf, Kirchdorf and Erpfendorf are a highlight for cross-country skiers. Each town has central access to the extensive slope network in the Kitzbüheler Alpen. Whether classic or skating - in the towns, there are over 250 km very well prepared pistes and cross-country slopes which have been awarded the Tirol slope seal of approval, in all difficulty levels. Head out on to the slopes - get set - go!
- Free use of the slopes in the Kitzbüheler Alpen which have over 250km slopes - classic and skating
- Austria's biggest open cross-country race in St. Johann in Tirol - the Int. Tiroler Koasalauf
- Guaranteed slope quality thanks to the Tirol slope seal of approval
- Snow-assured altitude slopes in Kirchdorf
- Illuminated night-time slopes in St. Johann in Tirol, Erpfendorf
No matter if during the day or under the starry skies of theKitzbüheler Alpen, don't miss out on a session of tobogganing. Take the lift or walk to one of the countless rustic alpine huts in the region. After some cozy hut magic, it's off to the always well groomed tobogganing runs and back down into the valley.
Ice-skating is a lovely leisure pursuit for all the family and provides a relaxing alternative to fun out on the pistes in the Kitzbüheler Alpen. The artificial rink in the panorama swimming area in St. Johann in Tirol provides an ideal location. On the artificial skating rink in St. Johann in Tirol you can discover and improve your skating skills. The requisite equipment can be hired on site. Glide along as you skate on the ice!